Like many of you, I celebrated Independence Day with family. We ate. We laughed. We watched fireworks and patriotic presentations from The United States Military Academy and from our nation’s capitol. As a friend of mine posted on Facebook:
My Country is like my family, my friends…and, frankly, me; full of all the flaws and imperfections of humanity and human institutions, yet gifted with delights and blessings that bring joy, pride, sustenance, and great enthusiasm for history and hope for the future.
Birthdays are the time to don a hat, light another candle, offer gifts of affection and aplomb, and sing with gusto. Happy Birthday, these United States of America, “with liberty and justice for ALL!”
As we move into July, let me encourage you to take a moment to exhale. Exhale and celebrate a really impactful June! Here’s a summary:
- We served and engaged hundreds of our neighbors as they came onto our campus to vote in the primary and runoff elections in late-May and June.
- We prayed for our neighbors in the Huffman neighborhood during our summer Pray & Go outreach event. And we welcomed our first guest who attended a worship service because we left a door-hanger letting her know we prayed for her!
- Two busloads of middle and high school students from Elevate and Young Life left our campus on Sunday, June 10th headed for Young Life Camps in North Carolina (high school) and Florida (middle school). It was our pleasure to send five of the seventeen Elevate students. And while we are still awaiting a final update from camp, we know that six students from Elevate made professions of faith!
- Vacation Bible School was a huge success as we engaged nearly forty children with the gospel. The children were engaged and challenged. The gospel was shared. And we gave $929.50 to Send Relief to assist in the International Mission Board’s work with Ukrainian refugees!
There is much to celebrate! Please pray for us as we continue to assemble a Next Generation Discipleship team to work alongside our partners at Elevate, Young Life, Banks Academy, and Kingdom Family Christian Fellowship. “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Pray to the Lord of the harvest!”
Community engagement is one of the keys to our success in being a neighborhood church for northeast Birmingham. This month we have the opportunity to serve our neighbors through our monthly food box distribution on Tuesday, July 19 from 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Make plans to join us!
Summer Family Meeting
Our Summer Family Meeting will take place on July 31 at 3:00 PM. We have a lot of exciting news to report, so you will not want to miss this opportunity to celebrate all that God is doing through HBC and our ministry partners as we make Jesus known across the street and around the world.
Our deacons will meet in the fellowship hall at 3:00.
Summer Preaching & Bible Study
During the month of July we will continue the Great Chapters of the Bible series. This past Sunday (July 3), Danny Brister brought a prophetic message from Psalm 51. We will also hear messages from 1 Corinthians 15; Luke 15; Isaiah 55; and Colossians 1 during the month.
The Wednesday, mid-day lunch and Bible study is a hit! We resumed Wednesday, July 6th, with our Revelation bible study. Make sure to register for lunch each week by Noon on Monday. You can register and pay online at huffmanbaptist.org
Daily Prayer & Bible Reading
1. Pray – Every morning at 7:00 AM we are praying for Huffman Baptist Church.
2. Read the Bible – We are reading one chapter (or one portion of one chapter) from the Old Testament every day (Monday – Friday).
As we read we are asking God to show us if there is a…
- Sin that we need to confess.
- Promise that we need to claim.
- Attitude that we need to adjust.
- Commandment that we need to obey.
- Example that we need to follow.
Here is the reading plan for the next few weeks: